Monday, October 7, 2013

Vegan Enchiladas


I found a recipe for vegan enchiladas that looked so good, I had to try it. The enchiladas turned out so well and were so filling you would never know it was vegan. I also had never realized how easy it is to make enchiladas! I definitely plan to repeat this recipe in the future.

Ingredients
8 corn tortillas (I highly recommend the corn & wheat tortillas from Trader Joes)
1 19oz jar enchilada sauce (I used Trader Joe's enchilada sauce which was about 16 oz, but still worked well)
vegetable oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 package (11-14 oz) soft silken tofu
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
salt & pepper to taste
fillings/topping of your choice (I used black beans, black olives, tomatoes and soy cheese)



Heat about a tablespoon of oil in a pan on medium-to-high heat. Saute the onion until it's soft, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cumin and cook for about 2 minutes. Throw the onion and garlic mixture into the food processor along with the tofu, nutritional yeast and salt and pepper to taste. I also through in a little bit of fresh jalapeno to add some spice. Blend the ingredients together.


Next, I sprayed Pam on either side of the tortilla and dipped both sides in a pan with enchilada sauce. Next time, I will try to omit the Pam to make the enchiladas healthier.



Place the tortilla in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Spoon some of the tofu mixture onto the tortilla and add whatever toppings you are using.



Roll tortilla and place seam-side down. 


Repeat until all tortillas are filled.


Pour any leftover sauce onto the enchiladas.


 Add cheese on top if desired and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment