Sunday, October 16, 2011

Mexitalirranean Salad


I was trying to decide what I felt like having for dinner the other night when this unique combination of foods popped into my mind. The dish is a fusion of Mexican, Italian, and Middle Eastern flavors, hence the name. While healthy, this salad is filling and can be made either with or without meat. The first time I made it without meat but the second time I used some ground turkey and I thought it was good both ways.


While you can use any brand of couscous, I used Israeli couscous from Trader Joes and prepared it based on the box instructions, but halving the amounts of water, couscous and olive oil because there were only two of us eating. 


As the couscous was cooking, I cut up about 1 1/2 avocados, 2 roma tomatoes, and a half a can of black olives.


Once the couscous was done I mixed it in a medium sized bowl with the cut up ingredients, 1/3 can of black beans and about 3-4 tablespoons of feta cheese. Finally, I added lemon juice, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. I recommend just adding each ingredient, mixing and taste testing to determine how much more, if any, of each ingredient to add. You can serve it a variety of ways. I liked eating it on it's own, but my brother really liked scooping it up with tortilla chips.

**Next time I may experiment using some sriracha sauce or red peppers to spice it up a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment