Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pumpkin Muffins


One of my favorite ways to bake is to find a recipe for a dessert that I like and try to figure out how I can modify it to make it healthier. When I stumbled on this recipe I was surprised to find a lot of similar modifications that I would normally make. I decided to give it a try adding a few of my own twists here and there. The result? Possibly one of my favorite muffins I've made. I ended up making a second batch they turned out so well.

Ingredients
1 cup pumpkin
2 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup oat bran
3/4 cup whole wheat flour (I recommend Trader Joe's)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon (if you like a lot) cinnamon 
touch of nutmeg 
a few sprinkles of pumpkin pie spice (optional)
pecan pieces (optional)
dried cranberries (optional)
oats (optional)
extra brown sugar (optional)


In a medium bowl, combine the pumpkin, eggs, oil, applesauce, water, and vanilla extract. Next, add the brown sugar and stir until combined. Finally add the oat bran and stir, followed by flour, salt, baking soda, and spices. Stir again. 


Next, fold in the pecans and dried cranberries. I did not measure, I just threw in amount that was to my liking.


Next, scoop the batter into lined cupcake tins. Sprinkle some oats and sugar on top. Bake at 375 degrees until a toothpick or fork inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean. I would start checking after about 18 minutes or so. Our oven is a little bit off lately but this took about 22 minutes or so for me.


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment