Sunday, December 8, 2013

Homemade Pumpkin Pie

 
This recipe is a must try! I think going forward it will be my go-to pumpkin pie recipe.
 
Ingredients
1 sugar pumpkin
1 premade (unbaked) pie crust
2 eggs
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
 
Note - this recipe make enough for two pumpkin pies or one large pumpkin pie. I had a deep dish 9 inch pan that I used but if I did not have deep dish I would have separated this out into two separate pies. If you do that just be sure to adjust the cooking time appropriately.

 
Cut the pumpkin in half and remove seeds. Place cut side down on a cookie sheet lined with lightly oiled aluminum foil. Bake at 325 degrees for about 30 to 45 minutes, until the flesh is tender when poked with a fork. Cool until just warm. Scrape the pumpkin flesh from the peel. Puree in a food process (alternatively, you can use a blender or mash by hand). Increase the oven temperature to 450 degrees.



 
In a large bowl, slightly beat the eggs.
 

Add brown sugar, flour, salt, 2 cups of the pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, and evaporated milk. Stir well after adding each ingredient. (I added some cinnamon, if you like cinnamon I recommend adding a teaspoon or so.)


 
Pour mixture into the unbaked pastry shell.

 
**Very important - place a strip of aluminum foil around the edge of the crust to prevent over browning. Michael helped me with this. We figure out the best way to do it by looking up a video. Click here for a cheesy video that explains a simple process.
 
The original recipe says to bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees, then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake an additional 40 to 50 minutes. I think a combination of our oven and the fact I was using a deep dish pie crush but this baby baked for about 3 hours (including the 10 minutes at 450 degrees). I would suggest giving yourself plenty of time in case the pie does take that long, but begin checking after about 40 or 50 minutes in the oven. The consistency of the pumpkin mixture will have a liquid consistency. Do not have fear - the pie will set eventually while baking. Try not to take the pie out until you can insert a toothpick and it comes out clean. After 3 hours I became a little bit impatient and worried about overbaking so I took it out before it had quite reached that point, but it still turned out great.
 
If you end up splitting the pumpkin mixture into two separate pies, you should take off the aluminum foil when you believe you have 10-20 minutes of baking time left. Since mine took forever I left the aluminum foil on the whole time and I think it really helped save the crust from becoming too hard to eat.
 
Cool and refrigerate pie (after at least an hour of cooling) overnight for best results.
 
(pictured above with chocolate pecan pie and bourbon whipped cream)
Try serving this with some bourbon whipped cream!
 
Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment