Saturday, July 23, 2016

Spicy Ethiopian Lentil Stew


Ethiopian food has always held a special place in my heart (or stomach). I've always thought going out for Ethiopian food was such a treat, but I never thought of ever cooking it myself until I stumbled upon this recipe. I was surprised how easy it was to throw together and how delicious it was.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger (I used ground ginger)
1-2 tablespoons berbere spice blend (I found on Amazon)
1/2 - 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
4 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups red lentils
14 oz can diced tomatoes
3 medium red potatoes
3 cups fresh spinach leaves
salt and pepper to taste

Coat the bottom of a large pot with oil and place over medium heat. Add onion and saute until it is soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, the berbere spice and cayenne and saute for one additional minute.


Add the broth, lentils, tomatoes and potatoes. Stir a few times, raise the heat and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat and allow to cook until the lentils are very soft and the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in spinach and continue to cook just until wilted, about 2 minutes. 

Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve over rice. For some extra tasty rice - add some turmeric and and a little bit of oil to the rice when cooking it.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment