Saturday, June 9, 2012

Black Bean Brownies

I shop at Trader Joe's quite frequently. At least one to two times every week, to be more precise. The last 3 times I've bought black beans there, I've been asked by an employee if I'm going to try black bean brownies. I had black bean brownies on my extensive list of things I want to eventually bake, but when i was asked AGAIN today if I was making brownies with black beans I figured it was time to give it a shot. I'm really glad I did. If you are a brownie lover who has no interest in trying something a little bit healthier I don't recommend trying these. With that being said, for how healthy, low in fat and high in fiber/protein these brownies are I think they're great. The taste is not lacking (though I may try to add some chocolate chips next time). The only thing that really sets these brownies apart (in a potential negative way) is the consistency. The beans create a cake like consistency. If you like cake-like brownies you're set. I prefer chewy brownies, but these still satisfy my chocoloholic sweet tooth. I can guarantee I will be making these again.

Ingredients
1 can of black beans
1 box of brownie mix (I tried Dark Chocolate brownie mix but may try a Ghirardelli mix next time)



First, rinse and drain the black beans. Put the black beans back in their can and add water to fill the can completely.


Dump the water and beans into a food processor (or blender) and puree the mixture.


Pour the pureed bean mixture into a large bowl, along with the brownie mix. Use a hand mixer to combine the two. Bake according to the brownie mix instructions. It's that easy!


 Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I love black bean brownies! I tried a different recipe awhile back... added nuts and dark chocolate pieces to it. Very yummy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that sounds delicious! I definitely want to experiment more with the black beans and chocolate!

      Delete