Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Butternut Squash Barley

When I saw this recipe, I immediately added it to my list of recipes to try just based off of the picture. It looked so creamy and delicious I knew I had to try it out, using the basic ingredients and ideas but my own way. I started off by putting some butternut squash soup (from Trader Joe's) in a pan on medium to low heat, along with 1 1/2 cups of uncooked barley.


I simmered the sauce for about 15 minutes and added some sliced mushrooms into the mix. As the sauce thickened and evaporated, I continued to add more soup. Eventually I used the whole carton.


After about 45 minutes of simmering, I added some spinach and goat cheese. Once the goat cheese was melted it was ready to eat!


I was unsure how I felt about it at first but after the second helping I decided I really liked the dish. However, next time I think I'd make a few modifications. First, I'd soak the barley ahead of time because it cuts down the cooking time. Also, I'd add more spinach and mushroom. I'm excited to perfect this recipe. If you give it a try please let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment