Sunday, March 3, 2013

Easy Hamantaschen


Purim came so quickly this year, we didn't really realize it was Purim until we were walking around the Upper West Side and saw tons of kids dressed up in costumes walking to temple. I wanted to make Hamantaschen but had to make do with what little ingredients we had lying around. This recipe is super easy and pretty good, but keep in mind following this recipe will not produce a traditional Hamantaschen cookie. 

Ingredients
1 Pillsbury pie crust
jam or topping of your choice (I used raspberry jam)

I first floured a clean surface and unrolled the pie crust. I then used a cup to cut out circles in the dough. I put about a tablespoon of filling in the center of each circle of dough and folded up the edges and pinched the sides to create a triangle (see below).


Once I had filled the first batch of circular dough and put them on a baking sheet, I balled up the remaining dough, rolled it out and continued the process of cutting the circles, adding the filling and folding/pinching to create the triangular "cookie". I continued the process until I used up all of the dough.


After placing all of the Hamantaschen on a baking sheet, I put them in the oven at the temperature indicated on the box (450 degrees). I baked them until the top began to brown or about 10 to 12 minutes.


Another great cheat that my mom often uses is using ready made cookie dough as the crust. This produces a Hamantaschen that is closer to the traditional Hamantaschen.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment